Header Ads Widget

We can't let it go: Why is Frozen still so popular even after almost a decade?

 With the musical version of Frozen coming to Singapore in February 2023 CNA Lifestyles Genevieve Loh looks at the obsession and power behind the franchise of the highest grossing animated film of all time.





So full disclosure I was not a Frozen fan when Disney released the original movie back in 2013. Something to do with the fact that obsessed little kids  both boys and girls kept startling me on escalators by belting out  Let it go sporadically throughout my day for weeks. Which became months. Then years.


Yes, little one. I know you  can not hold it back anymore but Auntie over here has a slightly nervous disposition lah. And do not get me started on the number of white blond wigs with braids taking over costume parties and Halloween and social media filled with mother daughter matching Elsa blue gowns.





And then I watched the film properly. First taking my godchildren. Then my nephews and nieces. And then myself alone without the cover of  indulging the kids. I was rapt. I cared. I was engrossed. I was moved. And just like that I was  erm cast under its spell and officially became a Frozen fan. 


Which is why I am not surprised that almost a decade later Frozen  now a franchise  is still going strong. And yes nobody saw the entire juggernaut coming. When Disney first released it in 2013 it was not expected to do as well as it did. And it blew everyone away winning two Oscars and collecting a stratospheric US$1.28 billion  S$1.82 billion at the box office along the way to become the highest grossing animated feature of all time... until the sequel came along.


Frozen 2 released in 2019 generated US$1.325 billion at the global box office pushing past the original and Incredibles 2 to become the highest grossing animated movie in history.  This is taking into account that Jon Favreaus remake of The Lion King which earned US$1.65 billion in 2019 is categorised as a live-action reboot rather than an animated film.

Post a Comment

0 Comments